The other day I learned about a song written by Anna L. Waring, whose hymn "In Heavenly Love Abiding" is well-known. She titled it "My Times are In Your Hand," but when I went to look for it some called it by the first line "Father, I know that all my life" and others by a new name, "Contentment." In any case, I think you will find the words touching. An excerpt is below. I found all of the lyrics, sheet music and MIDI file (if you are interested) posted at http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Contentment/. The thing I really appreciate about this hymn is that it is quite personal and the message very moden, considering she first published it in 1850.
Father, I know that all my life, Is portioned out for me;
And the changes that are sure to comeI do not fear to see;
I ask Thee for a present mind,Intent on pleasing Thee.
I would not have the restless willThat hurries to and fro,
E’er seeking some great thing to do,Or secret thing to know;
I would be treated as a child,And guided where I go.
So I ask Thee for daily strength—To none that ask denied—
And a mind to blend with outward life,While keeping at Thy side;
Content to fill a little space,If Thou be glorified.
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment