
Douglas is at that age where he is saying the most adorable things. Last night, we wanted to out for dinner and in the car I was making some suggestions. Douglas piped up from the backseat and the conversation went something like this.
Douglas: "Hey, Mommy think about Red Robin." (pronounced a bit like "wed wobin.")
Me: "Red Robin?"
Douglas: "Memember how we went there the last morning. Think about chicken and rice."
Me: "You want chicken and rice?"
Douglas: "Yes. Nourishing food. Think about Red Robin. They have good chicken."
Pause (during the pause Tony explains to me quietly the reason he loves Red Robin...the last time we were there he got a milkshake)
Douglas: "And I want something to drink, too."
Me: "Yes, we'd get something to drink with our dinner."
Douglas: "Like water. Or maybe a milkshake."
Me: "A milkshake, huh?"
We pull into the Red Robin parking lot.
Douglas: "A milkshake or water, but I like a milkshake better. That a great idea, Mommy."
Me: "Very smooth, son. Very smooth."
It cracks me up that he positioned his recommendation, leading with chicken and then subtly introduced his real agenda: "a banilla milkshake." He tops off the negotiation by giving me credit for the idea. I can only imagine how he'll be using these same techniques when he is 8 or 16!
3 comments:
That's awesome! I am scared for your future, though - those manipulative teen years are a comin'.
Very smooth and he's the oldest! They only learn more off of each other!
Hunter always says,"I have a question" and then proceeds to state his comment!
3 is my all time favorite age.
I didn't realize Douglas was at the age already where he uses words like "nourishing". What pre-schooler talks like that? What 5th grader talks like that? You better hope those negotiating skills trail off before he hits the teen years or you could be in trouble and find yourself asking:'
"why did I think it was a good idea to send Douglas on trip around Europe with that girl he's 'just friends' with? It seemed like such a good idea when he explained it to me."
Post a Comment