My friend, Tanya, lead a great exercise at our recent women's retreat for church called "Where I'm From." Inspired by a poem by the same name by George Ella Lyon, she shared one she had written. You can find it posted here.
I had the priviledge of doing communion thoughts the next day and was inspired to throw out my plans and write a "Where I am From" poem from God's perspective. People have asked for copies, so I share it here. Enjoy!
Where I’m From
I am from the beginning of the concept of beginning. From formless, empty darkness to “Let there be light!”, “Let us create in our likeness,” and the Sabbath.
I am from walks in the garden in the cool of the day exploring the eastern corner of Eden.
I am from building arks (both boats and boxes), building trust, and building nations.
I am from passing over in Egypt, blood smeared on the door frame, the law, and delighting in psalms of praise or lament.
I am from a stable and a teenage Mom, angels heralding on the hillside, wise men on a journey (being mistaken for a politician from my first cry).
I am from sawdust and chisels in my Dad’s shop. From annual trips to Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover - the “lamb of God” sacrificing doves in the temple.
I am from the chill of the river in the wilderness, the shoreline of the Sea of Galilee, and the smell of fish in the air. From friendship and discipleship, healing and teaching, and temptation in the desert.
I am from a table in a borrowed upper room. Reclining with friends. Bread broken, wine shared. A new covenant to replace my first.
I am from prayers from the olive grove, drops of blood on my brow, kisses on the cheek.
I am from the courts, the accusations, the mocking, and the journey to join the guilty two on the stony ridge of Golgotha. From “Why don’t you save yourself and us” hurled in insult to “Today, you will be with me in paradise” said in mercy.
I am from the cold, empty, dark tomb, strips of linen lying in a pile, a rolled stone and light streaming in. From wounds proving salvation for those who believe, an angel announcing my ascension, just as he had my birth.
I am from lightning, rumbings, and peals of thunder. A sea of glass, clear as crystal and spectular as a rainbow. I am from creatures and elders gathered in a cacophony of worship.
In my heart are your faces, in the Book of Life are your names, and your worship is a sweet fragrance that rises to the throne room.
The room is ready.
The table is prepared.
Recline with me.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's so beautiful, Jennifer. Do you mind if I share it with my non-blogging friends? I'm headed to a retreat next month, and I'd love to give this to my friends there.
Again, beautiful.
Post a Comment