_______________________
My Mom was never big into Halloween. I don’t know if it was because she took issue with the goblins and witches or whether it was because as a working mother of 4 kids, even the idea of outfitting each in a clever and meticulously-detailed costume sent her into apoplexy. In either case, it seemed we ALWAYS decided on our Halloween costumes on October 30th in preparation for our school’s Fall carnival. One year, my sister found footed pajamas and borrowed by infant brother’s pacifier to go as a “baby”, a single clip-on hoop earring and bandana turned by brother into a “pirate,” and I scrounged up a leotard and tap shoes and went as a “dancer.” As I recall, the baby dressed in one of those sateen outfits one receives at showers and went as a maitre d’. Imagine what we could have come up with if we had thought ahead!
It is clear that in this regard, and many others I admit, I am becoming my Mother. I have friends that decide in July and begin hand-making elaborate costumes. Conversely, I decided to dress my son, Douglas as “farmer” his first Halloween because he happened to own denim overalls and a plaid shirt. I see now that with a little more creativity and I could have made him into the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz, but in the pressure of the moment I choked.
Ever optomistic, I thought I would make it up the next year. Well, predictably, the month got away from us and we were at the costume store on October 30th. Douglas spotted a knight costume, complete with helmet and sword and exclaimed “Duke of Scone!” As you may know, Duke is the lead, played by Larry the Cucumber, in the VeggieTales movie “Duke and Great Pie War,” which was a favorite at the time. We chuckled, sighed relief at finally finding a costume, and resolved then to find him a green sweat suit to wear under his props. How hard could that be?
Sadly, by the end of October all of the sweat shirts and pants are sold out all over town (we couldn’t get our hands on any Hanes, no matter what the commercials say). We ended up finding a pair of University of Oregon Ducks pajamas which were mostly green and were only two sizes too big. We rolled up the pant legs and sleeves, outfitted him with his plastic armor, and set off for the church "Funival." With the helmet on, we thought he looked like Shrek in that scene where he storms the enchanted castle (Shrek, like Larry, also being green and in armor).
For more about last year and a picture of his costume, check out this previous post.
This year he has asked to be “Larry-Boy” (another VeggieTales favorite). My sister has made him some great VeggieTales shirts, so that might be our back-up on October 30th.
I'd love to hear what you are dressing your kids to be for Halloween, as I might still be trolling for ideas next weekend.
_______________________
P.S. Speaking of my sister, she has posted some new murals to her website at www.RebeccaHull.com that you should check out!
2 comments:
i remember the 'plastic' costumes, that came in a 'cake box'. there were masks held on by an elastic strand and smock-like suits. those rotated, though, it is safe to say that my brothers never used the wonderwoman one.
from then, it has been impromptu for me... less so for natalya. i bug her a month in advance. we usually do the impractical costume for parties (this year, fairy queen), and the practical for trick-or-treating (warmer princess dress that is ragged)... now her ballet class is dressing (welcome: last years recital outfit..if it still fits).
i'm more of the purchaser of elaborate, time-consuming, craft oriented goods made by others. but then, nate is easy. glitter for her face? check.
i have a disney captain hook outfit she wore when she was three (trick-or-treated in last year). i think size 4? and in really good condition. eye patch, hat, but no hook (she was going for basic pirate)...fyi, for a possible back-up.
I think girls are easier than boys in the dress up category - there are always princess or ballet things around it seems. I think Trinity is going to be a cowgirl this year - an outfit I had as a little girl. We searched for a horse she might like before her birthday, but none ever satisfied her criteria (or my budget). Connor didn't want to dress up last year, so that made it easy! He's into his Superman pjs right now, so that might work to our advantage, too!.
Post a Comment