I can feel the holidays starting to pick up the pace of life. Christmas cards waiting to be sent. Preparing the kids at church to sing Christmas carols during Advent. Getting travel arrangements made for the holidays. Making sure the kids stay healthy during the weather changes. Projects at work and church with deadlines at the end of the year. All these things are swirling in my head right now.
The theme of this year's advent at Westside is peace. Not the "quiet on the home front" kind of peace, but the in the Biblical sense, which I am learning means "completeness." More akin to contentment and fullness, than quiet and stillness. Which is ironic, because in some many ways the holidays are the time when incompleteness is most emphasized. It is a season of preparation. A season of making lists, checking them twice, and errand running because you "need" to get something, or do something, or see someone.
Last night, Tony and I watched Dan in Real Life (which is a good movie, I thought). We especially enjoyed the scenes and times of the extended family hanging out at the big house on the water and enjoying each other's company. Although not a holiday flick, it really did represent completeness to me. Being with family who you enjoy like old friends (or with old friends that are as close as family). Eating, playing games, talking, reading, relaxing, laughing, and even the occassional talent show. This is the scene of completeness for me.
It is a dream of mine to one day be the host in a gathering place. Perhaps a home on a lake or the ocean. It might be a private home or a bed & breakfast that we might run (an idea that I know we have totally romanticized beyond recognition). We'd have standing invitations to family and friends to come visit. To retreat with us there. To enjoy for a time a shared heartbeat and a shared hearth. Like in the movie, people would bring their favorite recipes, their books, their instruments, and their wanting to be together. In my mind's eye, there is a big rock fireplace, lots of cozy furniture and nooks and crannies to visit in. There is a big wrap-around porch, room to play, a big kitchen with a farm table, and bedrooms to spare, giving each guest comfort and privacy.
As a side note, maybe it is more than one location. Perhaps instead of owning a home, we rent in various parts of the country or the world and invite our community to travel. A villa in Italy. A chateau in France. A castle in Scotland. A lodge in Rhode Island. A beach house in San Diego. A Victorian home in Napa Valley. A beach hut in Thailand. A whole floor of a hotel in Hawaii. These would add the benefit of travel and adventure to the mix. New stories to tell. New food (and wine) and fun to experience.
In any case, the important thing is that we gather there with our friends and family to experience togetherness. We have seen this done well and aspire to extend the kind of hospitality and generousity we have enjoyed. At the Maxwell family lake house in Texas. At the Prince's lakefront cottage in Washington. The Christmas in Richardson. Thanksgivings in Gresham. Praise team recording sessions at the Strobeck's. The Brooklyn flat that became the family gathering place for the wedding. Perhaps this is why we love attending family weddings so much. A time of gathering and celebration. Maybe we'll one day be able to host a second cousin's, a neice's or nephew's wedding at our gathering place.
I love this season of the year. As many of you know, I am a sucker for Christmas music (at last count we have over 18 hours of holiday songs on iTunes) and love the flavors and traditions that come with Christmas. With family spread far and wide, I wish for our gathering place now (and perhaps to own our own airline).
We haven't quite gotten into the groove turning our new home into a gathering place. The dimensions don't seem quite right. But I know that it is not the size of your living room, the layout of the kitchen, or the number of bathrooms that make a gathering place. It is warmth of the welcome and the open invitation.
This is our Christmas prayer and our New Year's Resolution, as well: that we gather with you!
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
What a beautiful post, Jennifer. I saw that movie with friends last winter, and I loved the way they hung out together. It seems so simple, but it counts in ways elaborate plans tend to miss.
You are right: It's not size but warmth that matters. You've got plenty of that to spare. :)
You are one of those friends who are like family to us. We have LOVED gathering with you in our twenty-ish years of friendship and know we will keep doing so for next fifty!
Wonderful, wonderful post!
Thanks for blessing me and others with it!
Well done friend! We might need to throw this puppy in the bulletin soon!
Peace my friend,
Aaron
Hmm...a castle in Scotland. I would definitely have to visit. Wonderful post.
~ Elice
didn't know you were into communal living..
well if you are going to have a kind of artist's haven/bed'n'breakfast/perpetual vacation home--(whether one or several)--put me down as a prospective guest..or caretaker for parts of the year.
i find your home very comfortable, by the way; and i know you are right, it must be the people.
Beautiful Jen. I think it must be your and Tony's presence that make those those gatherings so warm and rewarding. Our family has been honored over the past many years to gather with your family for so many wonderful and often spontaneous times of fun and frolic! Thank you for articulating such peaceful imagery.
Great post. I could feel myself getting in the holiday spirit as I read it. Or maybe it was that I was reading it in my sweats after working at home today....nah, it was the post.
Thanks.
What warm and wonderful imagery. I loved sharing many of those same memories with you. I'm so thankful that being with family is so important to you and Tony and have made the considerable effort to attend family events - even if it does mean another trip to Abilene! We are so excited to be in Portland for Christmas! We always enjoy our time with you and our sweet kiddos.
Post a Comment