First the news...Claire had her 2 month appointment in July 3rd and is now 9 lbs 13 ounces and 22" long. She is really growing. We love to see her smile. She is still a great sleeper, giving us 8 1/2 hours on Saturday night (and almost making us late to church because she is our alarm clock and she slept in).
Douglas is doing great. I mentioned earlier how he LOVES the new Pixar Cars movie. Our friend, Josh, just published a movie review "written" by Douglas and his friend Gibson. Check it out!
Recently we got to see Tony's grandpa and grandma and took the obligatory, but touching "4 generations" photograph. (I wonder when we'll start living long enough to have 5 generation photographs?) We spent the 4th of July with my folks and friends. Lots of new photos in our photo album (link to the right).
So, now that the news is out of the way, here is a list of things that Douglas has been doing lately to stall going to bed at night.
Top 10 Bedtime Stall Techniques by Douglas
10. "Mommy, I need a little, tiny drink of water" (who can argue with a time-tested classic technique like this?)
9. "Why don't we read TWO books?" (while holding up two fingers and giving me his sweetest puppy eyes)
8. "Mommy, I need to go potty" (most effective when combined with a little dance)
7. "Mommy, can you set TWO timers?" (we typically will set the microwave timer to give him notice that bedtime is approaching. Sometimes he wants to "hit snooze")
6. "Mommy, I want to see my baby sister"
5. "Mommy, I want to hold my baby sister" (or sometimes, when she is crying, he'll substitute, "Mommy, my baby sister wants to hold me")
4. "Mommy, I want to kiss my baby sister's cheek"
3. "Mommy, I want to kiss my baby sister's forehead" (notice a trend here, ahem?)
2. "Mommy, I want to pray with my baby sister"
1. And the best stall tactic he has used happen last night. Eyeing some foot spa lotion and a little soak tub that I had neglected to put away, he announced to us that his "feet were thirsty" and that he needed to soak them for just a little bit. He already had his socks off and his pant legs pulled up by the time he finished the request. So cute!
4 comments:
I use most of these myself. Problem is my sisters live in other states.
Our boys' first choice is: "I want to snuggle with Mommy." After a day of "I don't want that" and "You never let me do anything" and "waaaaaaaaaaahhahahahaaa", Mommy never says no to this.
Gibson also always has to go to the bathroom minutes after going to bed despite always going right before getting into bed. Remind me some time to tell you about the "reserve tank."
Another of Gibson's favorites is to feign some illness, injury or sudden fear of being anywhere other than in the living room with us.
Of course, the one that works the best with me is "but Dad, it's the playoffs, can't I just watch to the end of this quarter?" How can I say no to that? What am I cruel?
My favorite trick, when I was avoiding bed was to ask my dad how something works. I would suddenly have a thirst for knowledge.
"How does the TV work?"
"How does a plane fly?"
"Why do we burp?"
And it usually worked.
These are all brilliant ideas, that I am sure Douglas will work into his reperatorie. Good thing he can't read our blog!
Post a Comment